Well in a normal situation you can change your Joomla Super Admin password or a simple user through your Joomla Admin panel.
But that's on an ideal world and we all know that we are not living in such a world, so what happens in case you have forgotten your Super Admin password or in case of a hack attempt that locked you out of your website?
The easiest way to change your password and gain back access to your web site is through the phpmyadmin script.
Here are the steps you have to follow in order to reset the Super User password to what you want.
- Open your phpmyadmin and select your Joomla site Data Base
- Right next to your screen you will see the tables that your db holds
- Search for the table prefix_users (ex. jos_users) and select "Browse"
- Find the Super User's name and select "edit"
- Make sure the "field type" remains the same "MD5" and type your password.
- After you have done that you can then change the password field to what you want so you can log on to your site and make all the necessary further steps to harden the security of your website.
Usually even though it's not needed is better to change your password again, once you enter the Administrator area.